SolarWorld Americas Inc. intends to continue operating into the future
HILLSBORO, Ore., May 24, 2017 –SolarWorld Americas Inc. is issuing the following statement about its ongoing status:
- SolarWorld Americas is conducting business in a market heavily affected by Asian overcapacities and a surge of dumped imports. The company’s management is committed to defining a strategy to maintain operations, increase efficiency and keep as many U.S. jobs as possible while continuing to take a stand against unfair competition and trade.
- As we previously announced, SolarWorld Americas is operating as usual and maintaining operations as it produces and sells its market-leading solar technology, even as our parent company and sibling subsidiaries in Germany work through preliminary insolvency proceedings.
- In the same statement, we mentioned that we would continue to implement efficiencies to help position the company for stabilization and an ongoing competitive position in the marketplace.
- Such efficiencies will include workforce reductions where they cannot be avoided. Therefore, it was our legal obligation to provide employees of SolarWorld Americas with WARN Act notifications. This step is to make fully transparent to our workers that layoffs will take place and could be of a significant size. As long as existing trade defense measures lack efficiency to restore fair market conditions, we need to adjust volumes to existing demand.
- With our employees, customers and vendors, we are discussing how to further shape SolarWorld Americas as a successful U.S. manufacturer that continues to provide U.S. solar cells and modules of the highest quality and performance.
About SolarWorld REAL VALUE
SolarWorld Americas Inc., the largest U.S. crystalline-silicon solar manufacturer for more than 42 years, produces and sells high-tech solar power solutions and, in doing so, contributes to a cleaner energy supply throughout the Americas. The company maintains 430 megawatts of annual capacity to produce solar cells and 550 MW of capacity to manufacture solar modules. The company’s brand stands for a proven track record of quality and reliability, and SolarWorld is the only producer whose industrial lineage has outlived its products’ 25- and 30-year performance guarantees. SolarWorld upholds high social standards and commits itself to resource- and energy-efficient production. With its program Solar2World, the company supports the expansion of solar power in developing countries in Latin America. Connect with SolarWorld on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram and www.solarworld-usa.com.
Head of Corporate Communications
SolarWorld Americas Inc.
4050 NE Evergreen Road
Portland, OR 97124